SubjectRe: [RFC 5/5] Memory controller soft limit reclaim on contention
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Balbir Singh <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> +/*
> + * Create a heap of memory controller structures. The heap is reverse
> + * sorted by size. This heap is used for implementing soft limits. Our
> + * current heap implementation does not allow dynamic heap updates, but
> + * eventually, the costliest controller (over it's soft limit should

it's -> its

> + old_mem = heap_insert(&mem_cgroup_heap, mem,
> + HEAP_REP_LEAF);
> + mem->on_heap = 1;
> + if (old_mem)
> + old_mem->on_heap = 0;

Maybe a comment here that mem might == old_mem?

> + * When the soft limit is exceeded, look through the heap and start
> + * reclaiming from all groups over thier soft limit

thier -> their

> + if (!res_counter_check_under_soft_limit(&mem->res)) {
> + /*
> + * The current task might already be over it's soft
> + * limit and trying to aggressively grow. We check to
> + * see if it the memory group associated with the
> + * current task is on the heap when the current group
> + * is over it's soft limit. If not, we add it
> + */
> + if (!mem->on_heap) {
> + struct mem_cgroup *old_mem;
> +
> + old_mem = heap_insert(&mem_cgroup_heap, mem,
> + HEAP_REP_LEAF);
> + mem->on_heap = 1;
> + if (old_mem)
> + old_mem->on_heap = 0;
> + }
> + }

This and the other similar code for adding to the heap should be
refactored into a separate function.

> +static int mem_cgroup_compare_soft_limits(void *p1, void *p2)
> +{
> + struct mem_cgroup *mem1 = (struct mem_cgroup *)p1;
> + struct mem_cgroup *mem2 = (struct mem_cgroup *)p2;
> + unsigned long long delta1, delta2;
> +
> + delta1 = res_counter_soft_limit_delta(&mem1->res);
> + delta2 = res_counter_soft_limit_delta(&mem2->res);
> +
> + return delta1 > delta2;
> +}

This isn't a valid comparator, since it isn't a constant function of
its two input pointers - calling mem_cgroup_compare_soft_limits(m1,
m2) can give different results at different times. So your heap
invariant will become invalid over time.

I think if you want to do this, you're going to need to periodically
take a snapshot of each cgroup's excess and use that snapshot in the
comparator; whenever you update the snapshots, you'll need to restore
the heap invariant.

Paul

  Last update: 2008-06-27 18:11    [W:2.231 / U:0.180 seconds]