SubjectRe: Inquiry: Should we remove "isolcpus= kernel boot option? (may have realtime uses)
Dimitri Sivanich wrote:
> Paul,
>
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:30:19PM -0500, Paul Jackson wrote:
>> Do you, or someone you know, use "isolcpus="?
>
> We use it.
>
>> Can we remove it?
>
> We use isolcpus to ensure that boot-time intialization, specifically timer
> initialization, happens on a specific set of cpus that we won't be using for
> lower latency purposes. Some of these timers will repeatedly restart
> themselves on the same cpu and a few do add latency (although admittedly I
> haven't checked timer latency recently).
>
> Looking at tracebacks in 2.6.26-rc3 from hrtimer_init() and
> internal_add_timer() things still appear to be working this way, with the
> timer starting on the originating cpu. If I isolate all but, say one, cpu,
> timers all seem to start on the unisolated cpu.
>
> Attempts have been made to add an interface to ward timers off of specific
> cpus, but these have always been rejected.

Ah, I know exactly what you're talking about. However this is non-issue these
days. In order to clear cpuN from all the timers and other things all you need
to do is to bring that cpu off-line
echo 0 > /sys/devices/cpu/cpuN/online
and then bring it back online
echo 1 > /sys/devices/cpu/cpuN/online

There are currently a couple of issues with scheduler domains and hotplug
event handling. I do have the fix for them, and Paul had already acked it.

btw Disabling scheduler load balancer is not enough. Some timers are started
from the hard- and soft- irq handlers. Which means that you have to also
ensure that those CPUs do not handle any irqs (at least during
initialization). See my latest "default IRQ affinity" patch.

>> Should we remove it?
>
> Why?
Because the same functionality is available via more flexible mechanism that
is actively supported. isolcpus= is a static mechanism that requires reboots.
cpusets and cpu hotplug let you dynamically repartition the system at any time.
Also isolcpus= conflicts with the scheduler domains created by the cpusets.

>> Should we first deprecate it somehow, for a while, before
>> removing it?
>
> A better idea than just removing it.

I'd either nuke it or expose it when cpusets are disabled.
In other words
- if cpusets are enabled people should use cpusets to configure cpu resources.
- if cpusets are disabled then we could provide a sysctl (sched_balancer_mask
for example) that lets us control which cpus are balanced and which aren't.

Max

  Last update: 2008-06-02 20:43    [W:0.724 / U:0.568 seconds]