    SubjectRe: Inquiry: Should we remove "isolcpus= kernel boot option? (may have realtime uses)
    Hi Paul,

    in short: NAK!

    On Monday 02 June 2008, Paul Jackson wrote:
    > (Aside to the RealTime folks -- is there a 'realtime'
    > email list which I should include in this discussion?)
    > The kernel has a "isolcpus=" kernel boot time parameter. This
    > parameter isolates CPUs from scheduler load balancing, minimizing the
    > impact of scheduler latencies on realtime tasks running on those CPUs.

    I used it to mask out a defect CPU on a 8-CPU node of a
    HPC-cluster at a customer site, until the $BIG_VENDOR
    sent a replacement. And to prove $BIG_VENDOR, that we actually
    have a problem on THAT CPU.

    So I would really like to keep this fault isolation capability.
    I made my customer happy with that.

    I wish Linux had more such "mask out bad hardware" features
    to faciliate fault isolation and boot and runtime.

    Best Regards

    Ingo Oeser

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-06-03 00:39    [W:0.021 / U:73.180 seconds]