SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] RFC: Moving firmware blobs out of the kernel.
Alan Cox wrote:

>> I tried to push for that two years ago. I'd be more than happy to pull
>> that out of the freezer.
>
> Its kind of irrelevant if you need an initrd or not. The only question of
> relevance is "does it get built when I type make all". Almost all Linux
> users are using initrd without problem - because their distro ensures
> "make install" and the packaged kernels do the right thing.

Obviously. I'm equally obviously referring to klibc, which was designed
so that the resulting vmlinux/bzImage/... file contains the necessary
initramfs, regardless of issues like cross-compilation, draconian size
restrictions(*), and so forth.

-hpa

(*) Not saying that a klibc-based initramfs is necessarily smaller than
the in-kernel code it replaces, but the total size is << than the size
of the kernel proper, which isn't true when using a full-featured libc.

  Last update: 2008-05-31 01:21    [W:0.119 / U:1.128 seconds]