    Subject[Ksummit-2008-discuss] Fixing the Kernel Janitors project
    In the spirit of having a more process than technical based kernel
    summit, I'd like to put the topic of the kernel Janitors project up for

    In the early days, the project was conceived as a way of getting fresh
    blood into kernel development by giving them fairly simple but generally
    useful tasks and hoping they'd move more into the mainstream. If we
    wind forwards to 2008, there's considerable and rising friction being
    generated by janitorial patches. This is only an example:

    but there are many more. The greatest problem, as I see it is that by
    pouring vitriol like this on newbies, we're really damaging our
    reputation as a community that welcomes newcomers and strangling our
    necessary supply of willing volunteers. On the other hand, as a
    maintainer, when there's people yelling me at about patches not being
    included plus a persistent regressions list and about ten bug reports to
    track down, the last thing I want to see within a million miles of my
    inbox is a white space fixing patch. The more of these patches we get,
    the worse the problem becomes and the shorter and more inflammatory the

    The most obvious solution might be to shut the Janitors project down, or
    at least more tightly manage its TODO list (although a lot of what gets
    seen as janitorial patches, like whitespace fixes, isn't on the TODO
    list in the first place). However, since the purpose is to get new
    people involved with kernel development, perhaps we should repurpose the
    project so it actually does this. My suggestion is that we replace it
    with the kernel bugs project. Kudos for finding bugs, more for finding
    better ways of finding bugs, and the most for finding and actually
    fixing a bug.

    Perhaps we should simply start the discussion with the premise that we
    want to encourage new people to do useful work and draw them into the
    development community and see where it leads.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-05-28 19:23    [W:0.023 / U:103.756 seconds]