    SubjectRe: Additional kconfig targets (cloneconfig, nonint_oldconfig etc)
    Hi Roman.

    > The patch I've seen for the last point put it into conf.c, which is the wrong
    > place for it. For this sort of thing we should create a small query tool,
    > which then can export all sorts of information.
    > If we silence the defconfig output (which IMO is a good thing, as I don't
    > think anyone looked at the output seriously for a long time and the current
    > behaviour has purely historical reasons), it would also open up the
    > possibility to separate it from conf.c.

    aconf is now ready to take care of defconfig, randconfig and all*config.
    That leaves us with two simple tasks for conf.c:
    config and oldconfig

    [silentoldconfig is gone as oldconfig is 'silent' now].

    aconf can take a base config for all the targets and avoids being
    clever where to locate it. (Read: does not use DEFCONFIG_LIST).

    I dunno if this is what you had in mind but I certainly like the result.
    A cleaned up set of patches will soon hit the kbuild list.

    > This also fits into an idea I'm playing with to extend the .config format like
    > this:
    >
    > %defaultmode: mod
    > CONFIG_FOO=n

    I understand the solution that you describe but I fail to see the
    usefulness of it.
    Can I request you to elaborate a bit more how you see it used.
    I can give it a shot if I see it solving a real issue.

    > Basically this could replace "make allmodconfig KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG=..." and the
    > current way to produce an allmodconfig would be replaced by a dedicated
    > function.
    This part I did not understand either. I am aware of the current behaviour
    but do not get the "dedicated function" thing.

    Thanks in advance,

    Sam

      Last update: 2008-05-03 23:51    [W:0.045 / U:29.696 seconds]