SubjectRe: In-kernel IR remote control support
Hi,

on 12 Nov 08 at 14:39, J.R. Mauro wrote:
[...]
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Jon Smirl <jonsm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> (Forgive me if this has already been asked or dealt with)

>>> Have you contacted the LIRC developers? Is there any overlap between
>>> your projects?

>> The LIRC people know about this. Pieces of the code are coming from
>> the LIRC source base and being reworked for kernel inclusion.

> Great, it's nice to see there's cooperation.

LOL. There's just a small omission from Jon's side...
Yes, LIRC people know about this. And Jon has a no-go from me.

Decoding IR protocols in-kernel is the wrong way IMHO and this will not be
supported by LIRC as long as I maintain LIRC.
It's simply not possible to decode all existing IR protocols and LIRC just
stores the timing data for these protocols as-is without trying to decode
them. With the in-kernel decoding approach these remotes cannot be
supported. I'm not willing to sacrifice the support for these even though
they only consist of a very small fraction of remotes in use.

Christoph

  Last update: 2008-11-13 00:15    [W:0.185 / U:0.144 seconds]