SubjectRe: staging: me4000 and relation to other data acquisition devices
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:33:37AM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:34:56 -0700 Greg KH wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:49:18AM -0500, Shawn Bohrer wrote:
> > > I have some questions about the user-kernel interface of the me4000
> > > driver. From my looking through the code it seems specific to the
> > > me4000 hardware which does concern me since there are hundreds of
> > > different data acquisition devices from many different vendors. In my
> > > opinion it would beneficial if at the very least all of these devices
> > > shared a common device interface.
> >
> > I totally agree.
> >
> > The me4000's user interface is not "set in stone" and needs to be fixed
> > up in order to move into the main kernel tree.
> >
> > > Additionally there is the out of tree Comedi project:
> > >
> > > http://comedi.org
> > >
> > > Which supports this hardware, and many more, with a generic device
> > > interface. There may be other reason not to merge Comedi (I know they
> > > have a desire to maintain support of their RT support), but I can't help
> > > but feel that merging the me4000 driver without thinking about the
> > > hundreds of other devices out there is a mistake.
> >
> > I would love to get comedi into the kernel tree. People have talked
> > about it for years now, is it time for me to just take a snapshot and
> > place it in drivers/staging/ for everyone to then work on cleaning up
> > properly?
>
> Greg,
>
> Maybe I missed it at the beginning of the staging tree, but would you
> explain which drivers you will or will not put into the staging tree?
>
> E.g., what if someone doesn't want their driver merged into mainline?

Of course, if someone doesn't want their code in the staging tree, I
will not add it, that's just being "nice".

As for what I will not put into staging, right now I'm sticking with
drivers only, no filesystems (people have asked already). I don't think
we have seen any drivers that I will not put into the staging tree yet.

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2008-10-28 19:23    [W:0.108 / U:0.668 seconds]