SubjectRe: QUEUE_FLAG_NONROT and merges
On Tue, Oct 14 2008, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I noticed you've added a new flag to indicate that the drive has no
> seek costs and I figured it would be a good idea to use that on the
> MMC/SD cards.

That was me, actually...

> Since the name isn't entirely clear in what is implied, I just wanted
> to check that there are no plans to assume that there is negligable
> request overhead for queues with this flag. I.e. the flag should
> indicate that the elevator doesn't have to care about seeks, but it
> should still try to merge requests to reduce the transaction overhead.

Sounds about right. The flag is just meant to indicate zero-seek cost,
as devices will still have per-command overheads, merging is still
applicable.

So yes, you want to set that flag for mmc/sd cards, definitely.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2008-10-14 09:57    [W:0.245 / U:0.060 seconds]