SubjectRe: [announce] CFS-devel, performance improvements

* dimm <dmitry.adamushko@gmail.com> wrote:

> and here's something a bit more intrusive.
>
> The initial idea was to completely get rid of 'se->fair_key'. It's
> always equal to 'se->vruntime' for all runnable tasks but the
> 'current'. The exact key within the tree for the 'current' has to be
> known in order for __enqueue_entity() to work properly (if we just use
> 'vruntime', we may go a wrong way down the tree while looking for the
> correct position for a new element). Sure, it's possible to cache the
> current's key in the 'cfs_rq' and add a few additional checks, but
> that's not very nice... so what if we don't keep the 'current' within
> the tree? :-)
>
> The illustration is below. Some bits can be missed so far but a
> patched kernel boots/works (haven't done real regression tests yet...
> can say that the mail client is still working at this very moment :-).
>
> There are 2 benefits:
>
> (1) no more 'fair_key' ;
> (2) entity_tick() is simpler/more effective : 'update_curr()' now vs.
> 'dequeue_entity() + enqueue_entity()' before.

cool patch - i like it! It removes some code as well, besides shrinking
struct task_struct with another 64-bit variable - so it's a nice
speedup:

text data bss dec hex filename
34467 3466 24 37957 9445 sched.o.before
34414 3466 24 37904 9410 sched.o.after

i've applied it to the end of the queue - it depends on whether
->vruntime works out well.

Ingo

  Last update: 2007-09-14 10:21    [W:0.055 / U:1.372 seconds]