    SubjectRe: VIA EPIA EK: strange eth dev numbering

    On Aug 2 2007 12:56, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:
    >> On Aug 2 2007 12:42, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:
    >> There never *were* days when eth0 remained eth0 across such changes.
    >
    >but there *were* days when eth0 was eth0, if the kernel reports it as such.
    >now there is no eth0 at all. if I see an "eth0" from dmesg, I expect
    >it to be present.

    Wait, you forget that something may change the name. That dmesg message
    from 1 second ago does not need to be valid anymore, just as anything
    else in this world.

    On Aug 2 2007 13:12, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:
    >> > cards around), eth0 would also suddenly become a different one. There never
    >> > *were* days when eth0 remained eth0 across such changes.
    >>
    >> but there *were* days when eth0 was eth0, if the kernel reports it as such.
    >> now there is no eth0 at all. if I see an "eth0" from dmesg, I expect
    >> it to be present.
    >
    >hm, well, a thought, maybe udev should report what is doing, like
    >printinig "renamed eth0 to eth2", or such.

    I think it once did with suse, but it does not right now. Worth fixing
    (yet I am no udev maintainer).

    >the problem with this device renaming in my case was that other software,
    >in particular dhcpcd, didnt get any lease, because (obviously?) dhcpcd
    >on the other hand _still_ seemed to look for eth0, and thus, after
    >booting, there was no network configured at all.

    So blame your distro for not integrating udev correctly with dhcp-client.
    I can only speak for suse, where you define BOOTPROTO=dhcp for an
    interface. Then, on /etc/init.d/network, every interface that has a
    configuration file gets run, so you never see what ethX udev picked for
    the day, but things still work. That's good^TM.

    Jan