SubjectRe: Git tree for old kernels from before the current tree
On 7/22/07, Michael Tharp <gxti@partiallystapled.com> wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > Wouldn't be hard to make a git tree with all the patches all the way
> > back to 0.01 even...
>
> It'd be delightful from a completeness standpoint (and I do love
> completeness), but considering it already takes a good 20 minutes to
> clone the 2.6 tree over a respectable cable connection, I'd have to
> object on the grounds of size. Now, if it was kept off in its own tree
> for people who don't mind ravaging kernel.org resources to satisfy their
> own curiosity, that's fine too.

git has an extremely effective diffing mechanism. You may surprised at
how little it adds.
For example, git compressed the 2.6GB mozilla cvs tree down to 400MB.

I used to clone trees all the time, but now I'm much better at using
git and I haven't cloned a complete tree from kernel.org in a year.
git remote is a cool feature.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@gmail.com