    SubjectRe: how about mutual compatibility between Linux's GPLv2 and GPLv3?
    Alexandre Oliva wrote:
    > Here's an idea that just occurred to me, after all the discussions
    > about motivations, tit-for-tat, authors' wishes and all.
    > If GPLv3 were to have a clause that permitted combination/linking with
    > code under GPLv2, this wouldn't be enough for GPLv3 projects to use
    > Linux code, and it wouldn't be enough for Linux code to use GPLv3
    > projects. That's because GPLv2 would still demand all code to be
    > licensed under GPLv2, and GPLv3 wouldn't permit this.
    > However, if GPLv3 had a permission to combine/link with code under
    > GPLv2, *and* Linux (and any other projects interested in mutual
    > compatibility) introduced an additional permission to combine/link
    > with code under GPLv3 (or even GPLv3+, constrained by some condition
    > if you will), then:

    There, that right there, wouldn't it again require a 'nod' from all
    those who have contributed to the kernel (because at the time they did,
    the license was GPLv2 without any additions)?

    Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.

      Last update: 2007-06-21 13:39    [W:0.038 / U:29.908 seconds]