    SubjectRe: VMware, x86_64 and 2.6.21.
    Date
    Petr Vandrovec <petr@vmware.com> writes:

    > Nigel Cunningham wrote:
    >> Hi Arjan.

    >>> if you want to ask questions about proprietary kernel stuff you're
    >>> better off asking the vendor directly, not lkml
    >>
    >> I did, but given that it the failure only appeared with a change of
    >> vanilla kernel version, I didn't think it was out of place to ask here
    >> too.
    >
    > I thought I already talked about that on VMware's forums, but apparently I just
    > discussed it in email only. Culprit (if I can say that) is
    > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=610142927b5bc149da92b03c7ab08b8b5f205b74
    >
    > It changed interrupt layout - before that change IRQ 0-15 were using vectors
    > 0x20-0x2F, after change they use interrupts 0x30-0x3F. Which has unfortunate
    > effect that when hardware IRQ 8 arrives while VM is running, vmm believes that
    > it internally used 'INT 0x38' to call some hypervisor service - and (1) hardware
    > interrupt is never acknowledged, and (2) hypervisor issues random operation
    > depending on contents of registers at the time interrupt arrived. Both are
    > quite bad, and usual result is that VMware panics, and while writing core dump
    > kernel hangs as IOAPIC believes that there is IRQ 8 in service, and so it does
    > not ever deliver IRQs 14/15 for legacy IDE harddisks (which are at same level).
    >
    > One of possible fixes (if you need to run older products than VMware Workstation
    > 6 on 64bit 2.6.21+) is replacing
    >
    > #define IRQ0_VECTOR FIRST_EXTERNAL_VECTOR + 0x10
    >
    > with
    >
    > #define IRQ0_VECTOR FIRST_EXTERNAL_VECTOR + 0x08

    Nope. That will break irq migration don't even think about it.

    > Then IRQ 0x38 will be skipped. Other option is move only IRQ8_VECTOR somewhere
    > else (into 0x21-0x2F range).
    > Petr Vandrovec
    >
    > P.S.: Well, and obviously this has nothing to do with vmmon...

    I don't even want to think about how a kernel module gets far enough
    into the kernel to be affected by our vector layout. These are internal
    implementation details, without anything exported to modules.

    Can I please see the source of the code in vmware that is doing this?

    Eric

      Last update: 2007-05-04 13:43    [W:0.023 / U:30.152 seconds]