SubjectRe: VMware, x86_64 and 2.6.21.
Petr Vandrovec <> writes:

> Nigel Cunningham wrote:
>> Hi Arjan.
>>> if you want to ask questions about proprietary kernel stuff you're
>>> better off asking the vendor directly, not lkml
>> I did, but given that it the failure only appeared with a change of
>> vanilla kernel version, I didn't think it was out of place to ask here
>> too.
> I thought I already talked about that on VMware's forums, but apparently I just
> discussed it in email only. Culprit (if I can say that) is
> It changed interrupt layout - before that change IRQ 0-15 were using vectors
> 0x20-0x2F, after change they use interrupts 0x30-0x3F. Which has unfortunate
> effect that when hardware IRQ 8 arrives while VM is running, vmm believes that
> it internally used 'INT 0x38' to call some hypervisor service - and (1) hardware
> interrupt is never acknowledged, and (2) hypervisor issues random operation
> depending on contents of registers at the time interrupt arrived. Both are
> quite bad, and usual result is that VMware panics, and while writing core dump
> kernel hangs as IOAPIC believes that there is IRQ 8 in service, and so it does
> not ever deliver IRQs 14/15 for legacy IDE harddisks (which are at same level).
> One of possible fixes (if you need to run older products than VMware Workstation
> 6 on 64bit 2.6.21+) is replacing
> with

Nope. That will break irq migration don't even think about it.

> Then IRQ 0x38 will be skipped. Other option is move only IRQ8_VECTOR somewhere
> else (into 0x21-0x2F range).
> Petr Vandrovec
> P.S.: Well, and obviously this has nothing to do with vmmon...

I don't even want to think about how a kernel module gets far enough
into the kernel to be affected by our vector layout. These are internal
implementation details, without anything exported to modules.

Can I please see the source of the code in vmware that is doing this?