SubjectRe: MOST(Media Oriented Systems Transport) Interface?
Date
Hi!

Am Donnerstag, 1. März 2007 16:16 schrieb Robin Getz:
> > > http://most4linux.sourceforge.net/
>
> That's it - thanks for the pointer & Bernhard - thanks for the work.
>
> What is the plan for this? It looks like you did the work on 2.6.14, what
> is the plan going forward? Is this something that you or anyone else wants
> to maintain/support newer devices on?

Ok, that's perhaps the point for me to step in. I supervised the thesis of
Bernhard within our Embedded Linux group at Siemens CT SE 2.

Unfortunately, we currently don't plan doing further enhancements to this
driver like porting it to other hardware. It was more or less an unplanned
result of a thesis to show ways how to port drivers to a realtime extension -
and as it was indeed a very good and usable result (thanks to Bernhard
again!), we decided to open source it in the hope it might be useful.

However, if a real user community forms around the project, we might rethink
this decision. However I can't promise anything...

> > It only supports synchronous data transfer. The Most NetServices are
> > in userspace. There's a OpenSource demonstration available, but no
> > full NetServices implementation. You can buy a license from SMC or use
> > the specification to re-write an OSS implementation. However, that's
> > all userspace, so no GPL problem here. :)
>
> Is there any effort on making an open source NetServices implementation?

No, definitely not. You can make basic usage of the package without
NetServices (we provide small examples which don't need NetServices), but for
real-world product usage you might still need to buy a NetServices license
from SMSC.

--
Bye,
Gernot Hillier