SubjectRe: PCIe Hotplug: NFG unless I boot with card already inserted.
Kristen Carlson Accardi wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:39:33 -0400
> Mark Lord <lkml@rtr.ca> wrote:
>
>> Another thing: if a card is already in the slot before pciehp is loaded
>> (under any circumstances), then pciehp does *not* see the card until I
>> unplug/replug it.

You mean that the existing code does not handle it properly.
The hardware can see the card just fine, as reflected in the slot
status bits.

> One other thing to note here, the proper operation of hot plug dictates that
> if you boot your laptop with no adapter in the slot, you must first load
> the driver in order for the new adapter interrupt to be captured. So,
> if you insert a card without the driver loaded, it will not be enumerated
> by PCI until you remove it and the reinsert it.

Bull puckey.

If there's already a card in the slot when we turn on the power,
the Linux kernel should find and use that card.

This is flawed, and needs fixing.

Cheers

  Last update: 2007-10-16 22:43    [W:1.025 / U:1.132 seconds]