    SubjectRe: [RFC 0/8] Cpuset aware writeback

    > Secondly we modify the dirty limit calculation to be based
    > on the acctive cpuset.

    The global dirty limit definitely seems to be a problem
    in several cases, but my feeling is that the cpuset is the wrong unit
    to keep track of it. Most likely it should be more fine grained.

    > If we are in a cpuset then we select only inodes for writeback
    > that have pages on the nodes of the cpuset.

    Is there any indication this change helps on smaller systems
    or is it purely a large system optimization?

    > B. We add a new counter NR_UNRECLAIMABLE that is subtracted
    > from the available pages in a node. This allows us to
    > accurately calculate the dirty ratio even if large portions
    > of the node have been allocated for huge pages or for
    > slab pages.

    That sounds like a useful change by itself.

      Last update: 2007-01-16 23:27    [W:0.020 / U:17.872 seconds]