    SubjectRe: tracepoint maintainance models

    * Karim Yaghmour <> wrote:

    > Theodore Tso wrote:
    > > I *think* what Karim is trying to claim is that LTT also has some
    > > dynamic capabilities, and isn't a pure static tracing system. But if
    > > that's the case, I don't understand why LTT and SystemTap can't just
    > > merge and play nice together....
    > That's been the thrust of my intervention here. [...]

    indeed, and i severely misunderstood your points in this regard. Now i
    have re-read some of your earlier points, and in particular:

    >> And finally, do realize that in 2000 I personally contacted the head
    >> of the DProbes project IBM in order to foster common development,
    >> following which ltt was effectively modified in order to allow
    >> dynamic instrumentation of the kernel ...

    and now i'm red faced - i was wrong about this fundamental aspect of
    your position. Please accept my apologies!

    so regarding the big picture we are largely on the same page in essence
    i think - sub-issues non-withstanding :-) As long as LTT comes with a
    facility that allows the painless moving of a static LTT markup to a
    SystemTap script, that would come quite a bit closer to being acceptable
    for upstream acceptance in my opinion.

    The curious bit is: why doesnt LTT integrate SystemTap yet? Is it the
    performance aspect? Some of the extensive hooking you do in LTT could be
    aleviated to a great degree if you used dynamic probes. For example the
    syscall entry hackery in LTT looks truly scary. I cannot understand that
    someone who does tracing doesnt see the fundamental strength of
    SystemTap - i think that in part must have lead to my mistake of
    assuming that you opposed SystemTap.

      Last update: 2006-09-18 06:43    [W:0.022 / U:1.224 seconds]