    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

    On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:55:56 EDT, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Because it's called backwards compat, when it isn't?
    > Because it is very difficult to find out which set of kernels you are
    > locked out of?
    > Because the filesystem upgrade is stealthy, occurring as it does on the
    > first data write?

    Actually, the *only* point being contended here is running older
    kernels on some newer filesystems (created originally with a newer
    kernel), right?

    Or do you have examples of where current kernels could not deal
    with an ext3 feature at some point in time?

    I would argue that 0.001% of all Linux *users* actually worry about
    this - most of them are right here on the development mailing list.
    So, that group is more vocal, for sure. But, if it works for 99.99+%
    users, aren't we still on the good path, from the point of view of
    those people who actually *use* Linux the most?

      Last update: 2006-06-09 21:46    [W:0.019 / U:3.280 seconds]