SubjectRe: [Patch][RFC] Disabling per-tgid stats on task exit in taskstats
Andrew Morton wrote:

>Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com> wrote:
>

>>+/*
>>+ * Per-task exit data sent from the kernel to user space
>>+ * is tagged by an id based on grouping of cpus.
>>+ *
>>+ * If userspace specifies a non-zero P as the nl_pid field of
>>+ * the sockaddr_nl structure while binding to a netlink socket,
>>+ * it will receive exit data from threads that exited on cpus in the range
>>+ *
>>+ * [(P-1)*Y, P*Y-1]
>>+ *
>>+ * where Y = TASKSTATS_CPUS_PER_SET
>>+ * i.e. if TASKSTATS_CPUS_PER_SET is 16,
>>+ * to listen to data from cpus 0..15, specify P=1
>>+ * for cpus 16..32, specify P=2 etc.
>>+ *
>>+ * To listen to data from all cpus, userspace should use P=0
>>+ */
>>+
>>+#define TASKSTATS_CPUS_PER_SET 16
>>

>The constant is unpleasant.

I was planning to make it configurable. But that would still not be as
flexible as below...

>If we're going to abuse nl_pid then how about we design things so that
>nl_pid is treated as two 16-bit words - one word is the start CPU and the
>other word is the end cpu?
>
>Or, if a 65536-CPU limit is too scary, make the bottom 8 bits of nl_pid be
>the number of CPUS (ie: TASKSTATS_CPUS_PER_SET) and the top 24 bits is the
>starting CPU.
>
><avoids mentioning nl_pad>
>
>It'd be better to use a cpumask, of course..

All these options mean each listener gets to pick a "custom" range of
cpus to listen on,
rather than choose one of pre-defined ranges (even if the pre-defined
ranges can change
by a configurable TASKSTATS_CPUS_PER_SET). Which means the kernel side
has to
figure out which of the listeners cpu range includes the currently
exiting task's cpu. To do
this, we'll need a callback from the binding of the netlink socket (so
taskstats can maintain
the cpu -> nl_pid mappings at any exit).
The current genetlink interface doesn't have that kind of flexibility
(though it can be added
I'm sure).

Seems a bit involved if the primary aim is to restrict the number of
cpus that one listener
wants to listen, rather than be able to pick which ones.

A configurable range won't suffice ?

--Shailabh

  Last update: 2006-07-02 00:06    [W:0.349 / U:0.432 seconds]