    SubjectRe: [Patch][RFC] Disabling per-tgid stats on task exit in taskstats
    Shailabh wrote:
    > I don't know if there are buffer overflow
    > issues in passing a string

    I don't know if this comment applies to "the standard netlink way of
    passing it up using NLA_STRING", but the way I deal with buffer length
    issues in the cpuset code is to insist that the user code express the
    list in no fewer than 100 + 6 * NR_CPUS bytes:

    From kernel/cpuset.c:

    /* Crude upper limit on largest legitimate cpulist user might write. */
    if (nbytes > 100 + 6 * NR_CPUS)
    return -E2BIG;

    This lets the user specify the buffer size passed in, but prevents
    them from trying a denial of service attack on the kernel by trying
    to pass in a huge buffer.

    If the user can't figure out how to write the desired cpulist in
    that size, then tough toenails.

    I won't rest till it's the best ...
    Programmer, Linux Scalability
    Paul Jackson <> 1.925.600.0401

      Last update: 2006-07-03 18:34    [W:0.024 / U:14.324 seconds]