SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
On 6/14/06, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> Passes 8 hours of me trying to intentionally break it with weird,
> artifical disk corruption.
>
> I even have script somewhere.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

> > Unless I'm misunderstanding something, JFS also has a
> > working fsck
> > (which has actually performed successful repair of
> > real-world
> > filesystem corruption for me, although I haven't used it
> > as much as
> > e2fsck or xfs_repair).
>
> ...like, if it repaired 100 different, non-trivial corruptions, that
> would be argument.

In the case of XFS, I've repaired maybe two dozen (or so) corruptions
that might be non-trivial (in most of the cases, the filesystem
wouldn't even mount before the repair).

> fsck.ext2 survives my torture (in some versions). fsck.vfat never
> worked for me (likes to segfault), fsck.reiser never worked for me.

BTW, I actually have a test filesystem here (an e2image from an actual
filesystem I encountered once) that used to cause e2fsck 1.36/1.37 to
segfault. Strangely, more ancient versions (like what ships in Red Hat
7.2) were able to repair it without segfaulting. In a few days, once
other stuff calms down for me, I need to revisit that and see if the
bug still exists with 1.39.
--
-Barry K. Nathan <barryn@pobox.com>