SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
On 6/12/06, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> Please don't. AFAIK, ext2/3 is only filesystem with working fsck
> (because that fsck was actually needed in the old days). Starting from
> xfs/jfs/reiser/??? means we no longer have working fsck...

Er, what do you mean by "working fsck"?

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, JFS also has a working fsck
(which has actually performed successful repair of real-world
filesystem corruption for me, although I haven't used it as much as
e2fsck or xfs_repair).

XFS's fsck is a no-op, but I think it could be implemented as a
wrapper around xfs_repair (and maybe xfs_check). xfs_repair has
successfully fixed corrupted filesystems for me, just as JFS's fsck
has.

(As for ReiserFS... well, in the past it's probably been too easy to
shoot yourself in the foot with reiserfsck and make the filesystem
worse-to-nonexistent instead of better. I haven't needed to use
reiserfsck on a corrupt FS lately so I don't know how it compares
these days.)
--
-Barry K. Nathan <barryn@pobox.com>