    SubjectRe: pcmcia oops on 2.6.17-rc[12]

    On Mon, 15 May 2006, Alan Cox wrote:

    > On Llu, 2006-05-08 at 17:34 +0100, Russell King wrote:
    > > > So 8250 is requesting an IRQ for non-sharing mode and it's actually
    > > > failing, because something else is already using that IRQ. The difference
    > > > is that the kernel now generates a warning when this happens.
    > >
    > > Maybe someone is clearing the UPF_SHARE_IRQ flag? Which port is this?
    > Its a bug in the PCMCIA code. Its the one I hit with the IDE code.
    > Asking for a private IRQ is not always honoured.

    Note that some PCMCIA architectures simply _will_not_ give you a private
    IRQ. Ever. They may not have any ISA interrupts to give, even to old
    16-bit cards. So the choice may be "shared irq or nothing".

    So I would strongly argue that any driver that depends on getting an
    exclusive IRQ is buggy, not the PCMCIA layer itself, and that it would be
    a lot more productive to try to fix those drivers.

    Especially since exclusive irq's are clearly a dying breed, and have been
    for the last decade or two. Why try to keep that braindamage alive?

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.019 / U:157.152 seconds]