    SubjectRe: pcmcia oops on 2.6.17-rc[12]
    On Llu, 2006-05-15 at 15:02 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Note that some PCMCIA architectures simply _will_not_ give you a private
    > IRQ. Ever. They may not have any ISA interrupts to give, even to old
    > 16-bit cards. So the choice may be "shared irq or nothing".

    Yes I realise that, the test patches in my tree will hand back a shared
    one but hand back the status so you know you asked for exclusive, got
    shared and need to decide.

    > So I would strongly argue that any driver that depends on getting an
    > exclusive IRQ is buggy, not the PCMCIA layer itself, and that it would be
    > a lot more productive to try to fix those drivers.

    It would certainly be a lot cleaner than this sort of code in the pcmcia
    core right now. Want me to send a patch which only allows for SA_SHIRQ
    and WARN_ON()'s for any driver not asking for shared IRQ ?

      Last update: 2006-05-16 00:50    [W:0.062 / U:32.252 seconds]