SubjectRE: PCI ERROR: Segmentation fault in pci_do_scan_bus
Thanks Greg for your reply. My comments are below.

From: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org
[mailto:linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Greg KH

> >On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 05:25:32PM +0530, biswa.nayak@wipro.com
wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am getting segmentation fault, consistently on call to
> > 'pci_do_scan_bus'. This is a small test code ( attached with this
> > mail) to test the APIs exposed by the PCI subsystem.

> The module code you attached isn't exactly "small" :)
> What chunk of code is causing the problem?
> Why are you scanning the PCI bus from a module?

Sorry for attaching the whole module.
Initially I thought of sending only the part which is causing the
problem, but
later thought of sending full module which is compiling and working for
better understanding.

In my code inside 'test_scan_bus' I am calling 'pci_do_scan_bus' in that
case I am getting the segmentation fault.

I am developing a test suite which will validate all the BSPs.
That's the reason I am calling this exported APIs from the subsystem to
verify that things are working fine.

> > I just checked where it
> > faults and found out that inside 'sysfs_create_bin_file' it is not
> > able to find the kobject out of the dev pointer passed to it. Now
> > extracting of the dev object out of the bus pointer is done by
> > 'list_for_each_entry(dev, &bus->devices, bus_list)' in
> > 'pci_bus_add_devices'. Now I am not able to understand why the
kobject
> > is missing. Is it something that I am missing or is it a kernel
defect?
> > Any help in this will be really appreciated. The bug message is
pasted
> > below.

> I'm confused as to why you are trying to set up the pci bus for a pci
bus that is already set up.
> That's why the function is dying...

I am not trying to set up the already set up bus ( or is it what I am
doing by making a call to this function?). My intention is to call all
the APIs provided by all the subsystem of the system, like PCI, USB,
UART, FS etc...

I am doing something seriously wrong over here?

Thanks
~Biswa

  Last update: 2006-04-26 13:42    [W:0.028 / U:0.128 seconds]