SubjectRe: JVM performance on Linux (vs. Solaris/Windows)
Besides, Specjbb_2005 doesn't do any IO or networking, and these should
not be factors in the result.

So although it's a simplistic benchmark where OS tuning may not provide as
much benefit as JVM tuning, it still doesn't explain why Solaris is ~15% higher
than Linux on the same hardware and JVM (I'm guessing that the tester did
not spend as much time tuning Linux as they did Solaris, hence the question).

-kp

On 4/13/06, Martin J. Bligh <mbligh@mbligh.org> wrote:

> > Note they ran the benchmark on an Opteron 285 instead of a Xeon with
> > 16 GB of memory. Opteron peformance currently **SUCKS** with 2.6
> > series kernels under any kind of heavy I/O due to their cloning of the
> > ancient 82489DX architecture for I/O interrupt access and
> > performance. Looks like the test was stakced against Linux from the
> > start. Should have used a Xeon system.
> > AMD needs to get their crappy I/O performance up to snuff. Looking at
> > the test parameteres leads me to believe there was a lot of swapping
> > on a system with already poor I/O performance.
> >

> Looks to me like it was the same h/w for Linux as Solaris, so I don't
> think that's much of an excuse ;-)
>
> M.

  Last update: 2006-04-13 23:12    [W:0.048 / U:1.168 seconds]