SubjectRe: JVM performance on Linux (vs. Solaris/Windows)
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Note they ran the benchmark on an Opteron 285 instead of a Xeon with 16 GB of
> memory. Opteron peformance currently **SUCKS** with 2.6 series kernels
> under any kind of heavy I/O due to their cloning of the ancient 82489DX
> architecture for I/O interrupt access and performance. Looks like the test
> was stakced against Linux from the start. Should have used a Xeon system.
> AMD needs to get their crappy I/O performance up to snuff. Looking at the
> test parameteres leads me to believe there was a lot of swapping on a system
> with already poor I/O performance.

Jeff, I've seen several reccomendations from databasefolks (postgres and
mysql) favoring Opterons over Xeons. this doesn't match your statement
that Opteron performance sucks under any kind of I/O load. I don't
understand how both can be correct.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare

  Last update: 2006-04-13 22:25    [W:0.065 / U:16.232 seconds]