    SubjectRe: Lifetime of flash memory
    On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:44:50PM -0500, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
    > Experimental data show that it is not possible to 'destroy' the
    > chip by interrupting a write as previously reported by others.
    > In fact, one of the destroyed devices was recovered by writing
    > all the sectors in the device as in:
    > `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb bs=1M count=122`.

    I have a destroyed card here. And I tried doing that. A rep from
    sandisk told me, that yes that model/generation of sandisk could
    encounter that situation where the device was simply impossible to
    access because of corruption during a write. He also said the card
    would have to be sent back to the factory to have the table reset.
    Newer generations were going to fix that so it didn't happen again.

    > Note that there __is__ a problem that may become a "gotcha" if
    > you intend to RAW copy devices, one to another, for production.
    > The reported size (number of sectors) is different between
    > devices of the same type and manufacturer! Apparently, the size
    > gets set when the device is tested.

    Yeah, I load cards by partitioning, mkfs'ing, and extracting data.
    Different manufacturers almost never have the same excact size.

    Len Sorensen

      Last update: 2006-03-27 20:04    [W:0.021 / U:7.904 seconds]