SubjectRe: Lifetime of flash memory
From
On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:44:50PM -0500, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
> Experimental data show that it is not possible to 'destroy' the
> chip by interrupting a write as previously reported by others.
> In fact, one of the destroyed devices was recovered by writing
> all the sectors in the device as in:
> `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb bs=1M count=122`.

I have a destroyed card here. And I tried doing that. A rep from
sandisk told me, that yes that model/generation of sandisk could
encounter that situation where the device was simply impossible to
access because of corruption during a write. He also said the card
would have to be sent back to the factory to have the table reset.
Newer generations were going to fix that so it didn't happen again.

> Note that there __is__ a problem that may become a "gotcha" if
> you intend to RAW copy devices, one to another, for production.
> The reported size (number of sectors) is different between
> devices of the same type and manufacturer! Apparently, the size
> gets set when the device is tested.

Yeah, I load cards by partitioning, mkfs'ing, and extracting data.
Different manufacturers almost never have the same excact size.

Len Sorensen

  Last update: 2006-03-27 20:04    [W:0.071 / U:0.264 seconds]