    SubjectRe: sky2 (was Re: 2.6.18-mm2)
    Hello Stephen,

    Am Dienstag, den 03.10.2006, 20:26 -0700 schrieb Stephen Hemminger:

    [...]

    > > while the above patch indeed removes the error messages from my previous
    > > mail, I have since seen random but reproduceable freezes of the box in
    > > question. I believe they are sky2 related since the freeze can be
    > > triggered by continuous network traffic (like playing a movie over NFS
    > > etc.).
    >
    > When it fixes what does the log say. I'm probably going to back out
    > the PCI express extended error using the pci_XXX functions.

    > > The freezes only happen with 2.6.18-mm2 and 2.6.18-mm3. 2.6.18-mm1 works
    > > perfectly fine.
    > > I've hooked up the box to my laptop via a serial cable and captured all
    > > kernel messages from booting up the machine to the freeze. You'll note
    > > that the last messages are from the sky2 driver ;)
    > >

    > Does it still happen with linus git tree. If so, a git bisect might
    > help. It might not be sky2 related at all, there has been lots of changes.

    I am doing a bisect right now which is kind of a PITA as the freeze is
    completely random.
    I have since noticed that the freeze happens shortly after the network
    dies, possibly during the "rrmod sky2 / moprobe sky2" my script is
    doing.

    > > Once frozen the network is dead, the screen won't wake up from suspend
    > > and CAPSLOCK can not be toggled. SYSRQ (sp?) still works tho.
    > >
    > > Any help in debugging this problem would be appreciated =)
    >
    > The TX timeout is a symptom of a common bug still not fixed where
    > the transmitter stops. I'm working on reproducing it on my hardware and switches,
    > because without a reproducible test, its just shooting in the dark and
    > that isn't working.

    I'd be happy to assist with that as I have his bug up to 5 times a day :
    Matthias 'CoreDump' Hentges

    Webmaster of hentges.net and OpenZaurus developer.
    You can reach me in #openzaurus on Freenode.

    My OS: Debian SID. Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice

      Last update: 2006-10-07 21:51    [W:0.027 / U:151.368 seconds]