SubjectRe: kernel 2.2 against 2.4 on old dual-pentium system with intel hx-chipset

Dieter> i have a big problem with my old dual-pentium-systems with
Dieter> intel hx-chipset (gigabyte and asus mainboards).

Dieter> if i use kernel 2.2, it works fine. with kernel 2.4 i must
Dieter> deactivate smp and i can only use one cpu. if i try to use
Dieter> both cpu's, the system hangs after some ours or after some
Dieter> times of heavy system-load.

What version of 2.2 and 2.4 are you using here? Be specific! Also,
send the output of /proc/cpuinfo from both 2.2 and 2.4 along with
/proc/interrupts as well.

Dieter> i try some parameters (noacpi noapic) without success.

And does the system pass memtest86 for an extended amount of time?
Say 24 hours?

I ran some HP Pavillion Dual processor PPro systems for quite a while
under kernel 2.4 without major problems.

Dieter> can you help me, to get the newer kernel running on this systems ?

Sure, just post as many details as possible.

Do you get any output on the console when the system freezes? You
should also look into setting up a serial console along with SysRq so
you can try to get some debugging output when the next hang happens.

John

  Last update: 2005-06-03 17:32    [W:0.039 / U:0.540 seconds]