SubjectRe: kernel 2.2 against 2.4 on old dual-pentium system with intel hx-chipset
hello,
i test some kernel 2.4 to 2.4.29 or 30.

at the moment, i use kernel 2.2.23 on the system. the last time, i installed kernel
2.2.26 i had problems on an other system (system hangs) and i have no time, to
check why, while this system must work.

i check the hardware of the system with different tools and methods and can't find
any hardware-error.
i use memtest, test big gzip-achive, compile big programs like gcc and the linux-
kernel to test my systems.

with actual configuration, the systems runs without problems, but on my
development-system i can use kernel 2.4 only without smp.

i think a long time, the problem comes from a hardware bug, but i can't like it, if i
don't know, why it don't work and make some tests on a testsystem, which is
identical with one of my servers except the cpu's are a faster models, both use the
same gigabyte 586hx-bords with adaptec scsi-controller and 3c905x network
adapter.

the last test with my testsystem was a test of big gzip-files over the network in dual-
and single-cpu-mode.
kernel 2.2.23 works fine with two cpu's, kernel 2.4.x (19 or 25) the system hangs
after a some hours.
with the first 2.4 kernels, i get errors (illegal pointer values for function calls), but no
more with the newest kernel-versions.

i get no informations from hanging systems.

tests with newer systems with p3-500 are ok, no system crashes with the last testet
kernels.
i can only test with dual intel hx and bx boards, i have no ppro-system to test, but i
can send you a compiled kernel or my configuration-file for the newest 2.4-kernel
and test it on my testsystems if it hangs again.

at the moment i am installing a new server with dual p3-500 and the newest kernel
2.4.30 or newer.

i can setup my testsystem with an internet-connection, that you can connect to the
system over the net with teelnet or ssh, to check the system or install other kernels.
a connection to a serial-port is also possible over an internet-connection with a
second system.
you can make all you want with this system, to find the bug. i have some test-
systems to test hard- and software and kill them with my tests and must recover
them from an image.

informations from proc-filesystem at the end of the mail!

goodby

ps: i have one BIG BIG problem, i have no need, to search for errors, they will find
me all.
one example: 4 new harddisk, the first disk is dead after 4 hours, the second works,
the third is in test at the moment.