    SubjectRe: RAID-5 design bug (or misfeature)

    On Tue, 31 May 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Hi!
    > > > At that point your stripes *are*
    > > > inconsistent. If it didn't mark them as failed then you wouldn't know it
    > > > was corrupted after a power restore. You can then clean it fsck it,
    > > > restore it,
    > > > use mdadm as appropriate to restore the volume and check it.
    > >
    > > I can't because mdadm is on that volume ... I solved it by booting from
    > > floppy and editing raid superblocks with disk hexeditor but not every user
    > > wants to do it; there should be at least kernel boot parameter for
    > > it.
    > Well, you should not use hexedit... just boot from rescue cd and run
    > mdadd from it. No need to pollute kernel with that one.

    I think editing superblock with hexedit is less dangerous than using
    raid-tools --- with editor I know what changes I have made and I can
    revert them. With raid-tools, if you create wrong /etc/raidtab (original
    was on failed volume too), it will trash superblocks completely.

    I still think it's stupid that Linux modifies RAID superblocks into
    irreversible state.

    BTW. that server doesn't have CD drive. It was installed from network.

    > Pavel

      Last update: 2005-06-01 03:47    [W:0.019 / U:41.520 seconds]