    SubjectRAID-5 design bug (or misfeature)
    Hi

    RAID-5 has rather serious design bug --- when two disks become temporarily
    inaccessible (as it happened to me because of high temperature in server
    room), linux writes information about these errors to the remaining disks
    and when failed disks are on line again, RAID-5 won't ever be accessible.

    RAID-HOWTO lists some actions that can be done in this case, but none of
    them can be done if root filesystem is on RAID --- the machine just won't
    boot.

    I think Linux should stop accessing all disks in RAID-5 array if two disks
    fail and not write "this array is dead" in superblocks on remaining disks,
    efficiently destroying the whole array.

    Mikulas

      Last update: 2005-05-30 00:57    [W:0.021 / U:31.568 seconds]