SubjectRe: [git patches] 2.6.x net driver updates
On Tue, 24 May 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 24 May 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>
>>> You are getting precisely the same thing you got under BitKeeper: pull
>>> from X, you get my tree, which was composed from $N repositories. The
>>> tree you pull was created by my running 'bk pull' locally $N times.
>>

>> No. Under BK, you had DIFFERENT TREES.
>>
>> What does that mean? They had DIFFERENT NAMES.
>>
>> Which meant that the commit message was MEANINGFUL.
>
> Ok, I'll fix the commit message.
>
> As for different trees, I'm afraid you've written something that is _too
> useful_ to be used in that manner.
>
> Git has brought with it a _major_ increase in my productivity because I can
> now easily share ~50 branches with 50 different kernel hackers, without
> spending all day running rsync. Suddenly my kernel development is a whole
> lot more _open_ to the world, with a single "./push". And it's awesome.
>
> That wasn't possible before with BitKeeper, just due to sheer network
> overhead of 50 trees. With BitKeeper, the _only_ thing that kernel hackers
> and users could get from me is a mush tree with everything merged into a big
> 'ALL' repository.

couldn't you just have your multiple 'trees' use the same object
repository directory (still a single group of files to push), but still
have your trees with different names? it would be just a little more then
the copy of the HEAD object (you'd have to change the name in it), but it
should be easily scriptable)

or is there a limit in git that I'm overlooking that would prohibit this?

David Lang

  Last update: 2005-05-24 09:59    [W:0.046 / U:0.484 seconds]