SubjectRe: [git patches] 2.6.x net driver updates

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Ok, I'll fix the commit message.
>
> As for different trees, I'm afraid you've written something that is _too
> useful_ to be used in that manner.

I really think you'll eventually confuse yourself terminally, but as long
as the commit messages end up being meaningful, your "mush everything
together" clearly is the thing that is going to perform best.

> Git has brought with it a _major_ increase in my productivity because I
> can now easily share ~50 branches with 50 different kernel hackers,
> without spending all day running rsync.

Hey, I'm happy it works for you, but are you sure those 50 other kernel
hackers aren't confused?

IOW, your work model is pretty extreme, and I'm much more worried about
mixing up trees by mistake than about the technical side of git per se.
That's also why I think it's important that the commit logs are
meaningful: they do end up containing the SHA1 key, so clearly "all the
information" is there, but if something gets mixed up, I'd like some human
to be able to eventualyl say "Aaahhh.. _that's_ where it got mixed up".

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.043 / U:0.264 seconds]