SubjectRe: SATA/ATAPI
Date
On Thursday 21 April 2005 19:41, Tais M. Hansen wrote:
> One of my linux boxes has a Plextor DVD-RW drive with a SATA interface. The
> kernel sees this drive (ata3) but apparently doesn't tie it to a sdx
> device. The box also have a SATA harddisk, which is working just fine. The
> relevant dmesg output is pasted below.

I've been digging through sr, scsi, sata_via, libata-scsi and libata-core,
littering the code with printk's.

My lack of knowledge on how the kernel handles devices, is really showing now.

I've been unable to figure out what is supposed to tie sr to the devices
probed by sata_via. Also, littering sr with printk's gave me the idea that sr
is not even looking for cdrom devices. It loads, does the basic module __init
stuff and then silence. Should sr find devices itself or is the kernel
supposed to inform sr via some callback hook? I could really be barking up
the wrong tree here, and not even see it.

Enabling SCSI logging and kernel debug didn't really give me anything useful.

--
Regards,
Tais M. Hansen

"If people had understood how patents would be granted when most of today's
ideas were invented and had taken out patents, the industry would be at a
complete standstill today." -Bill Gates (1991)

  Last update: 2005-04-24 00:16    [W:0.102 / U:0.100 seconds]