SubjectRe: GPL violation by CorAccess?

Violation? They proudly reply in their article in
http://www.linuxdevices.com
that they use Linux, that they embedded a version
of Red Hat, etc.

It's likely that they didn't modify anything in the kernel and
just used some stripped-down C-libraries to make everything fit.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 05:57:43PM +0000, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
>> I have seen a device by CorAccess which apparently uses Linux and didn't find
>> anything that would suggest it complies to GPL, though I had access to the
>> complete shipping package. Does anyone know about known cause of violation by
>> this company or should I investigate further?
>
> Well what is the case if you use unmodified GPL code, do you still have
> to provide sources to the end user if you give them binaries? I would
> guess yes, but IANAL.
>
> As far as I can tell their system is a geode GX1 so runs standard x86
> software. Maybe they didn't have to modify any of the linux kernel to
> run what they needed. Their applications are their business of course.
> It looks like they use QT as the gui toolkit, which I don't off hand
> know the current license conditions of. Then there is the web browser
> and such, which has it's own license conditions. Of course for all I
> know their user manual has an offer of sending a CD with the sources if
> you ask. Does anyone actually have their product that could check for
> that?
>
> Len Sorensen
> -

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.11 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

  Last update: 2005-04-19 21:25    [W:1.333 / U:0.000 seconds]