    SubjectRe: [Fwd: United States Patent: 6,862,609]
    Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

    >On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 21:28 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
    >

    >>Gene Heskett wrote:

    >... and another - AFAICS obvious - trivial ("prior art") patent (but I'm
    >not fluent in patent quak, I'm just a simple systems engineer).
    >
    >And one more reason to sent the European software patent directive
    >simply to hell, clarify in §52.2 to not patentability of "software"
    >discarding the word play of the patent attorneys and offices and get
    >into the head of the folks of the EPO (with whatever means are
    >necessary).
    >

    >>>And that pretty much says it. Assigned to the Canopy Group. So SCO
    >>>will have yet another lawsuit to threaten us with. If they survive
    >>>

    >Apparently Canopy Group/SCO/... are not of the front of innovation since
    >"what is new on a RAID system in any way in 2005"?
    >

    >>>the thrashing I've Been Moved will give them at the end of the day.
    >>>

    >>The way to fight the patents is for Linux developers to file their own
    >>and start putting down stakes.
    >>

    >Or simply drop the whole patent system as such. Apparently it is only
    >abused to make money of the inventions of others and for sure does not
    >help innovation as such in any way (it may help the lawyers, offices and
    >companies in that area - patent utilisation - to get rich but that area
    >has nothing to do with innovation).
    >
    > Bernd

    Patent law in the US is based on section 113 of the United States
    Constitution, and patents
    are not going away. Live with guys. The best way to win the patent
    wars is for people
    who do Linux development to file their own patents and put some stakes
    in the ground.

    You guys keep saying, "stop the patents" but this is insanity. It's
    like all these big companies
    used patents like swords and are hemming linux in, and Linux stands
    naked and defenseless.
    You guys need to get your own swords and fight -- start filing patents
    -- go to this new law
    center "Southern Poverty Law Center" they setup I read about and get
    these folks to start
    filing patents on Linux code (before you disclose it that is) and
    protect yourselves. Then
    you have ammo to negotiate cross patent agreements with MS and these
    other companies
    to create a balance of power.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.025 / U:33.520 seconds]