SubjectRe: [request for inclusion] Filesystem in Userspace
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu> wrote:
> >
> > Do you have any objections to merging FUSE in mainline kernel?
>
> I was planning on sending FUSE into Linus in a week or two.

I would certainly vote for FUSE going in. Even if it has some bits that
could be improved the code works well. It has been in global use for
quite a while. We use it in a production environment on four servers and
over 650 workstations to provide a "magic symlink filesystem" (i.e.
symlink XYZ points to different place depending on which user looks at it)
and we have not experienced any problems. I have also done other testing
with a layering fs using fuse and that was very stable (but slower than
the symlink approach which is why we went for that).

FUSE may not be perfect but lets face it - which code is? And more
importantly a lot of code in the kernel is broken (for at least some
people) yet it is in the kernel and FUSE does work well...

Just my 2p.

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/