    SubjectRe: [patch 1/2] fork_connector: add a fork connector
    Paul Jackson wrote:
    > Guillaume wrote:
    >> The goal of the fork connector is to inform a user space application
    >>that a fork occurs in the kernel. This information (cpu ID, parent PID
    >>and child PID) can be used by several user space applications. It's not
    >>only for accounting. Accounting and fork_connector are two different
    >>things and thus, fork_connector doesn't do the merge of any kinds of
    >>data (and it will never do).
    > Yes - it is clear that the fork_connector does this - inform user space
    > of fork information <cpu, parent, child>. I'm not saying that
    > fork_connector should merge data; I'm observing that it doesn't, and
    > that this would seem to serve the needs of accounting poorly.

    You probably can look at it this way: the accounting data being
    written out by BSD are per process data and the fork connector
    provides information needed to group processes into process

    - jay

    > Out of curiosity, what are these 'several user space applications?' The
    > only one I know of is this extension to bsd accounting to include
    > capturing parent and child pid at fork. Probably you've mentioned some
    > other uses of fork_connector before here, but I missed it.
    >>The relayfs is done, like Evgeniy said, for large amount of
    >>datas. So I think that it's not suitable for what we want to achieve
    >>with the fork connector.
    > I never claimed that relayfs was appropriate for fork_connector.
    > I'm not trying to tape a rock to Evgeniy's screwdriver. I'm saying that
    > accounting looks like a nail to me, so let us see what rocks and hammers
    > we have in our tool box.

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.022 / U:106.444 seconds]