SubjectRe: Problem in accessing executable files

Hi John,

Thanks for suggesting the single / few bytes encryption test. I tried doing that, but in vain. Maybe I am going wrong somewhere else.

I will briefly tell the functions I have written and the sequence if I am doing any mistake in the logic, please let me know.

In file.c I have added the info about the functions my_generic_file_read and my_generic_file_write in ext2_file_operations.

For decrypting, the sequence is:

my_generic_file_read ---> my_do_generic_file_read ---> my_file_read_actor ---> my_decrypt_data

I have not made any changes in my_generic_file_read and my_do_generic_file_read. In the function my_file_read_actor, I copy the page to my buffer (1 page - allocated at the time of mounting) I decrypt that buffer and pass it to the __copy_to_user() function.

for encrypting, the sequence is:

my_generic_file_write ---> my_encrypt_data

In function my_generic_file_write, between functions __copy_from_user() and commit_write(), I am calling my_encrypt_data() by passing address of the page that is passed to __copy_from_user()

My encrypt / decrypt routine is very basic at this time - just xoring every byte of the page as:

*to = *to ^ 0xff; *to++;

If I change my encrypt/decrypt routines to encrypt / decrypt just first or last byte of the page, then I get a different error saying the file is not executable - when I try to execute it. I thought there might be a problem with executable header, but I guess when I encrypt last byte of the page, header should have been bypassed.

Is it something like, for executables, the data is refered in some other functions - that is, before do_generic_file_read geting called?

Thanks and regards,

Vineet