SubjectRe: cpufreq problem wrt suspend/resume on Athlon64
Date
On Thursday, 3 of February 2005 15:20, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > So, would it be acceptable to check in _suspend() if the state is S4
> > > and drop the frequency in that case or do nothing otherwise?
> >
> > No. The point is that this is _very_ system-specific. Some systems resume
> > always at full speed, some always at low speed; for S4 the behaviour may be
> > completely unpredictable. And in fact I wouldn't want my desktop P4 drop th
> > 12.5 % frequency if I ask it to suspend to disk, too. "Ignoring" the warning
> > seems to be the best thing to me. The good thing is, after all, that cpufreq
> > detected this situation and tries to correct for it.
>
> You may not run k8 notebook on max frequency on battery. Your system
> will crash; and you might even damage battery.

When I don't compile in cpufreq, it seems to run at 1,8 GHz (the max)
all the time, on AC power as well as on battery. Along with what you're
saying it leads to the conclusion that in fact I have to compile in cpufreq
or I can damage the battery otherwise. Is that right?

Rafael

--
- Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
- That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.