SubjectRe: [Lse-tech] Re: A common layer for Accounting packages
Andrew Morton wrote:
> Kaigai Kohei <> wrote:
>>In my understanding, what Andrew Morton said is "If target functionality can
>> implement in user space only, then we should not modify the kernel-tree".
> fork, exec and exit upcalls sound pretty good to me. As long as
> a) they use the same common machinery and
> b) they are next-to-zero cost if something is listening on the netlink
> socket but no accounting daemon is running.
> Question is: is this sufficient for CSA?

Yes, fork, exec, and exit upcalls are sufficient for CSA.

The framework i proposed earlier should satisfy your requirement a
and b, and provides upcalls needed by BSD, ELSA and CSA. Maybe i
misunderstood your concern of the 'very light weight' framework
i proposed besides being "overkill"?

- jay