SubjectRe: EDD failures since edd=off patch
On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 03:11:52PM +0100, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> it seems the edd=off patch has caused some problems with
> some machines I have access to. They simply don't boot
> anymore unless I specify edd=foo. foo can be {off,skip,bar}
> so it seems the hang on boot is related to the parser
> not finding the parameter it is looking for.
> I looked through the code some days ago and it seemed to
> me that the register used to iterate through the command
> line buffer only got its lower 16 bit reset before calling
> into the BIOS. I don't have the code handy right now,
> but I can look later if the hints I gave are insufficient.

Yes, please. I'm reading the code, and %ecx gets set to
(COMMAND_LINE_SIZE-7) which is 256-7=249. So the upper 24 bits of
%ecx are going to always be zero, and if "edd=" isn't seen, then %ecx
will be zero when dropping into edd_mbr_sig_start. The only other
register touched is %esi, but it's pushed at the beginning, and pop'd
on all exit cases, so that should be unchanged.

ZF is the only other bit I can picture. On the "no edd= option" path,
ZF=0 on exit. With "edd=of" or "edd=sk", ZF=1. But with "edd=bar",
ZF=0, which you say works too. So that's not it...

CF is taken care of around the int13 calls already, so that's not
it...

Thanks,
Matt

--