    SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
    Benjamin LaHaise wrote:

    >On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 11:18:15PM -0500, Michael Poole wrote:
    >>Besides, if the act of linking is what makes the derivative work,
    >>there is no problem: The GPL allows a user to make any modifications
    >>or combinations or derivatives whatsoever, and only imposes
    >>requirements when the result is distributed. The linking of the two
    >>works occurs only on the end user's machine.
    >But if it's a module, it's probably been compiled against kernel headers.
    >Last time I checked, header files were covered by the GPL unless explicitly
    >placed under a more permissive license. How do you use something like
    >spinlocks without compiling in GPL code to a module?
    They can always claim that reverse engineering works both ways.
    Linux spinlocks can be reverse engineered, or they can search
    the mailing list archives for detailed explanations. :-/

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-12-07 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:32.560 seconds]