SubjectRe: Using Intel ICH5 IDE+SATA Under 2.6.15-rc6 - Cannot find DVD-RW?
SUMMARY:

The libata=1 option is if you use "AUTO" in the bios, then it sees it but
you can't (or I couldn't do anything with it anyway)

scsi1 : ata_piix
Vendor: _NEC Model: DVD_RW ND-3520A Rev: 1.04
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05

I googled around and then found setting it to Enhanced Mode worked!
It sees all the devices properly now.

hdc: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

Justin.

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> Impressive:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_SATA_and_Linux
>
> DVD drive not recognized
>
> The ata_piix SATA driver grabs ownership over the IDE ports when it is
> loaded, but (by default) does not support PATA ATAPI devices such as the
> Ultrabay optical drives. Thus, if the ide driver is compiled as a module and
> loaded after ata_piix, the DVD drive will not be recognized by either driver.
>
> Either of the following configurations will work:
>
> * For kernel 2.6.14 and newer: enable ATAPI support in the SATA system
> using libata.atapi_enabled=1 (see below; this is experimental).
> * Compile IDE into the kernel (non-module).
> * Compile both IDE and SATA as modules and make sure IDE is loaded first
> (the module is called 'ide_generic').
>
> Note that the optical drive must be in the Ultrabay during system boot
> (Ultrabay device swapping is currently unsupported).
>
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Justin Piszcz wrote:
>
>> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0407.0/0362.html
>>
>> This is the same problem I am having (no OOPS but I cannot see the DVD
>> drive either)--
>>
>> Justin.
>>
>> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Justin Piszcz wrote:
>>
>>> The BIOS see's my drive without any issues.
>>>
>>> My config: [AUTO, allow for up to 6 devices on IDE/SATA total]
>>>
>>> p34:~# cat /dev/hdc
>>> cat: /dev/hdc: No such device or address
>>> p34:~# cat /dev/sdc
>>> cat: /dev/sdc: No such device or address
>>> p34:~#
>>>
>>> p34:~# dmesg | grep NEC
>>> p34:~#
>>>
>>> CONFIG =
>>>
>>> SATA1 -> RAPTOR
>>> SATA2 -> SEAGATE
>>> IDE0 -> NOTHING
>>> IDE1 -> MASTER (DVDRW/CDRW)
>>>
>>> But for some reason the kernel is not seeing it?

  Last update: 2005-12-25 02:21    [W:0.071 / U:0.240 seconds]