SubjectRe: Using Intel ICH5 IDE+SATA Under 2.6.15-rc6 - Cannot find DVD-RW?
Impressive:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_SATA_and_Linux

DVD drive not recognized

The ata_piix SATA driver grabs ownership over the IDE ports when it is
loaded, but (by default) does not support PATA ATAPI devices such as the
Ultrabay optical drives. Thus, if the ide driver is compiled as a module
and loaded after ata_piix, the DVD drive will not be recognized by either
driver.

Either of the following configurations will work:

* For kernel 2.6.14 and newer: enable ATAPI support in the SATA system
using libata.atapi_enabled=1 (see below; this is experimental).
* Compile IDE into the kernel (non-module).
* Compile both IDE and SATA as modules and make sure IDE is loaded
first (the module is called 'ide_generic').

Note that the optical drive must be in the Ultrabay during system boot
(Ultrabay device swapping is currently unsupported).

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0407.0/0362.html
>
> This is the same problem I am having (no OOPS but I cannot see the DVD drive
> either)--
>
> Justin.
>
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Justin Piszcz wrote:
>
>> The BIOS see's my drive without any issues.
>>
>> My config: [AUTO, allow for up to 6 devices on IDE/SATA total]
>>
>> p34:~# cat /dev/hdc
>> cat: /dev/hdc: No such device or address
>> p34:~# cat /dev/sdc
>> cat: /dev/sdc: No such device or address
>> p34:~#
>>
>> p34:~# dmesg | grep NEC
>> p34:~#
>>
>> CONFIG =
>>
>> SATA1 -> RAPTOR
>> SATA2 -> SEAGATE
>> IDE0 -> NOTHING
>> IDE1 -> MASTER (DVDRW/CDRW)
>>
>> But for some reason the kernel is not seeing it?

  Last update: 2005-12-25 01:40    [W:0.066 / U:2.028 seconds]