    SubjectRe: ipw2200 [was Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel]
    Date
    On Sunday 11 December 2005 02:37, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > On So 10-12-05 23:30:30, Rob Landley wrote:

    > > > Well, building modular kernel for a test is not *that* much work.
    > > > Anyway, if you are going to fix it, fix it properly (by
    > > > delayed firmware loading) -- initrd hacks are good for you
    > > > but unusable for anyone else.
    > >
    > > I don't see why that's any less usable than using udev from initramfs to
    > > find your root partition.
    >
    > Why use udev from initramfs?

    I don't, but I do use a script that mknods the real root's node based on
    running "find" against /sys to locacate the appropriate device name and then
    finding the major/minor numbers there.

    This has nothing whatsoever to do with ipw2200. It just means I'm not using
    the in-kernel root-finder code.

    > Just teach ipw2200 to load firmware late.

    That's now how I'd fix this. If you want to fix it this way, be my guest.

    > Don't load firmware when ipw2200 is initialized, load it only
    > when someone attempts to talk to your ipw2200. At that time, you
    > should have userland already.

    Or I could move initramfs extraction earlier in the boot sequence and never
    have to modify any _other_ drivers that want firmware in order to be able to
    make them work too, rather than playing whack-a-mole teaching drivers I don't
    care about how to hold off on wanting firmware.

    > Pavel

    Rob
    --
    Steve Ballmer: Innovation! Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word.