SubjectRe: ipw2200
Ben Slusky <sluskyb@paranoiacs.org> writes:
>> I confess I don't see the cpio as being easier to create. You
>> presumably still want to include the modules from the fresh built
>> kernel, so creating a new cpio file would seem needed for most
>> people.
>
> cpio files are somewhat easier to create in that they can created by
> an unprivileged user. Most of the steps in making an initrd can only
> be done by root.

Initrds are also annoying because you have to guess/calculate a "disk"
size big enough to hold all the contents and inevitably waste some space
providing a margin for error.

Initrd seems at best a kind of kludge anyway; initramfs is just
all-around a cleaner concept.

-Miles
--
`To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to,
all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson